One of my favourite things to do when I get to see my boyfriend is cook together. He has been so supportive with all of my goals, especially those for a healthier lifestyle. The past few times we’ve spent the weekend together we’ve made an active effort to cook at least one of our meals and have it be a healthier option.
This weekend, we made chicken fajitas from scratch since we wanted something easy and relatively quick to make.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 onion
- olive oil
- 6-8 white mushrooms
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- half a head of romaine lettuce
- flour tortillas
- Shredded cheese
- Hot sauce
What We Did
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cover a large sheet pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Using one of those slap-chop type things, we diced the onion, bell peppers, jalapeno pepper, and the mushrooms, setting aside the mushrooms and onions, and putting the peppers on the pan.
- Cut the chicken into strips and lay onto the pan.
- We made our own fajita seasoning. After Whole 30, I have loved making my own seasonings and dressings so we made this fajita seasoning:
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sprinkle the fajita seasoning onto the chicken and peppers and add the minced garlic all over the chicken and peppers.
- Put the pan in the oven for 15 minutes (until chicken is cooked through)
- In a large skillet, add some olive oil (~1 tbsp? I didn’t measure this out). Once the pan is heated, add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook until onions translucent and mushrooms cooked.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the contents to the skillet mixing everything together.
- Serve in tortillas with shredded lettuce, hot sauce, and shredded cheese, if desired.